Family Login:

Sidney Edwin  Veazey
  • King George County Historical Society
    P.O. Box 424
    King George, VA 22485
  • Dahlgren Heritage Museum
    PO Box 816
    Dahlgren, VA 22448

Share This Obituary

Arrangements made by

Storke Funeral Home

111 Main Street
P.O. Box 920
Bowling Green, VA 22427
Get Directions

Profile of Storke Funeral Home

View Phone Number
View Fax Number
Email Us

Send Flowers
 Send Flowers

Memories & Candles

“I was honored to know CAPT Veasey through NSWC Dahlgren Public Affairs events, the Heritage Museum, but what I will remember most was when he spoke...Read More »
1 of 3 | Posted by: Margie Stevens - Montross, VA

Submarine warfare officer's dolphins “Capt. Ed:The "board" is green! May you surface, surface, surface with fair winds and following seas to a well-earned heavenly reward! We have the...Read More »
2 of 3 | Posted by: Fleetwood Davant - King George, VA

“I am so sorry for your loss. I send this with sadness and also great pride in having the chance to know such a wonderful man. I always enjoyed...Read More »
3 of 3 | Posted by: Gale Marshall - King Georg, VA

Due to the constraint of space in the newspaper here are additional stories of his life well lived.
He was born and raised in Wilmington, N.C. His boyhood was full of playmates one of whom I am quoting here. "I walked around our house and yard and thought of so many happy memories associated with him. He was our neighborhood impresario, always devising games and devices to fascinate us. Rubber guns, building rafts, underground forts and he even bought a pair of hair clippers and cut our hair for us, much to our parent's chagrin. He was a gift to those boys who shared those times with him." At the age of 12 his father died in an automobile wreck. From that time on he became the man of the house as the only child and took care of his petite mother.
While home in Wilmington, NC on Christmas leave in 1958 Ed was asked to speak to the Rotary Club about USNA. A member wondered if it could be arranged for five Mids to escort the Azalea Queen's court of the annual Azalea Pageant held each April in Wilmington. Actress Debra Paget was to be the Queen in 1959 and her attendants were to be the Misses VA, NC, TN, SC and GA, all state winners in the Miss America pageant.
Back at USNA all was arranged with the Commandant's office. The five Mid classmates from those states were to get off from class on an April Thursday morning to fly from Annapolis to Wilmington aboard a UF Goose seaplane. They were packed with their formal uniforms and ready to go. The Commandant's Assistant called them all in to his office with bad news. The fog and bad weather of the morning was showing no sign of stopping. Regrettably he said he had to cancel the flight. If ever there was a need for desperate measures this was it. Ed cleared his throat and said "There is another way to get to Wilmington in time for the dinner tonight." Ed admitted to having a car in Wardour subdivision a couple of miles away. Commandant's Assistant scowled at Ed and he felt the fear of a Class A offense coming. He seemed to be reconsidering, then reached for his wallet and said, "Here is $100 for gas. Drive carefully." They did, but they just missed a narrow bridge abutment in the rain. They arrived a bit late for the dinner, but all five of them agreed after meeting the girls that this was a worthwhile effort!
Betty Lane Evans, Miss North Carolina, a 2nd runner up to Miss America winner MaryAnn Mobley, was also winner of the bathing suit contest. She later came up to the Academy as Ed's "drag." As Circulation Manager for the Log and Splinter Ed had only to point her out to the Log photographer. In the gown she wore at the Miss America pageant she made a great "Drag of the Week."
Ed was selected for the Junior Line Officer Advanced Scientific and Engineering Educational Program, known for short as "the Burke Program." Admiral Burke started this program in 1958 whereby each selectee would spend an intensive year at sea before going on to a university to work toward a technical Ph. D. degree. They were to have this first year at sea in order to get the maximum training in a short time. Ed was assigned to DesRon 8 such that the squadron commander could then reassign each of them to one of his best skippers. A highlight of their six month Mediterranean cruise was going to Athens, Greece where Ed's ship the USS HAWKINS, (DDR-873) skipper, Cdr. Steve Anastasian had relatives. One hundred of these relatives were invited aboard for a party and lunch from the wardroom officer's mess. Needless to say the mess fund took a big hit to the chagrin of most of the junior officers.
After graduation there came a time when his roommate George and the beautiful and talented Jane were to be married. Ed's problem was one of somehow getting from the USS Hawkins (DDR873) in the Atlantic to the Land of Oz Kansas. There was no tornado, Ed's name wasn't Dorothy, and even the hurricanes normally go NE into the North Atlantic.
The Hawkins made a port visit to Bermuda with good timing. Fortunately, Ruth Eisenhower had said if their ship was ever in Bermuda to contact her brother. Bud Eisenhower was in charge of the Pan Am Office on the island.
On a Saturday the Eisenhower's invited Ed to dinner at their home. On Sunday they went water skiing from their dock and later tied up on the fantail of the Hawkins for a tour of the ship and refreshments in the wardroom. What a treat for a lowly ensign to ski in Bermuda waters back to the ship. And how they enjoyed the ship's tour as well!
After the weekend Ed took leave from the ship to travel to Kansas. At the airport Ed caught a Navy cargo hop to Norfolk NAS. There was no Navy transport to the west from Norfolk, so it was necessary to go commercial to Washington National and transfer to Andrews AFB for greater military hop opportunities.
Later that afternoon Ed was able to catch a USAF General's plane going west to Lowry AFB in Colorado. There was no stopping for an ensign and no parachutes to use to bail out over Kansas! As time was getting short, the only way back to Kansas was with 2 USAF Captains in a 4-seat small plane on their way to Wright-Patterson AFB. They promised to land and drop Ed off as close to McPherson as possible. Well, there were no airports near their flight path so when they spotted a farm's windsock and small air strip they landed, wished Ed luck and departed.
A quick search revealed there was no one around the farm. With a sword in one hand, suitcase in the